Wednesday, July 16, 2008

God Bless America

So, you would think I would have made this post a few weeks ago on the 4th of July, but with family in town I didn't really take the time to think about our freedom and our country. At church on Sunday we sang The Star-Spangled Banner and I was fighting back the tears. "Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight, o'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming? And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air, Gave proof through the nigh that our flag was still there" just always puts a lump in my throat." But, what really got me was on our drive to Costco last night- in front of just some random store as the sun was setting some person -who I will probably never see again was taking down the flag. As we drove past no one was out with him and I assume no one was watching him as he respectfully took the flag down and folded it up as if he were doing it in front of a stadium full of people. And as he finished folding it he stopped and bowed his head. It really touched me somehow. I wished I had my camera to capture it. It made me stop and reflect of how wonderful this country is and how blessed we are. I am so grateful that our country still stands for In God We Trust and hope that he will continue to protect and bless us.

3 comments:

Amy Peterson said...

Hey, I love America too! I love that no matter where people are in this country, they respect the flag, and the things/people it represents. I love catching people displaying true emotion. We sure miss you all!

We are moving to Glendale, and into the Lake Arrowhead area, I am so excited.

Lara said...

This story made me cry just reading it. I love America too. I guess you never know when someone is watching. Cool.

hairprincess said...

That is so freaking cool that would have been the coolest pic to have taken with that story, we are so blessed to be in this country!