Saturday, August 23, 2008

I'm going to bed early tomorrow night...

I LOVE to watch the Olympics... it does almost seem for a moment that the world can come together and cheer for each other and stand side by side. There are a few times when I feel a lump in my throat and I have to fight it back down....sometimes when I hear the national athem especially after watching an athlete give it their all and come out winning OR when I watch someone give it their all and they don't win. I love to watch good sportsmanship!
Dylan loved the swimming (he wanted to know if he could ever swim in a pool that big... I told him maybe one day if he works real hard at his swimming).
My highlights: Michael Phelps WOW! how did he continue to be so amazing... and his sweet mom... gotta love her! She is so proud of her little boy! LOVED Jason Lezak beating the French in the 4X100 relay. And the Jamaican runner, Bolt... did you see when he got up to speed! And I was always cheering for Shawn Johnson (maybe it was because she was the short gymnast). Although, Liukin was amazingly beautiful and graceful... And all those Athlete Moms who were out there fighting for a medal to prove that they could still do something amazing... LOVE LOVE Dara Torres (41 years old and what sportsmanship)... There were so many good moments... I can't remember them all. My favorite moment of the closing ceremonies.... JACKIE CHAN!! But loved the opening and closing ceremonies... what a show!
Oh and there was a Visa card commercial they played at the very beginning of the Olympics....
The story of the United Kingdom's runner Derek Redmond:In 1988 in Seoul, Redmond was forced to withdraw from the 400 meters just 10 minutes before the race began due to an injured Achilles tendon. So in Barcelona in 1992, he was thirsting for a medal. As always, his father, Jim, was in the stands. They had agreed earlier that no matter what happened, Derek would finish the race. But in his semifinal heat, just as it seemed certain he would cruiseto the final, Derek heard a pop in his right hamstring. He collapsed on the track in tears. But then he got up, and everyone realized he meant to finish.As he hobbled down the track in agony, his father rushed down from the stands, put his arm around his boy, and helped him to the finish line. Just short of it, Jim pulled back and let Derek cross by himself. The crowd rose to give Derek a standing ovation. This was a shining moment of heroism, and a testament to love between father and son.
Okay.... one more Visa Card moment:
In the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, the United States women's gymnastics team was within striking distance of their first-ever team gold medal. Coached by the legendary Bela Karolyi, a Romanian who had coached Nadia Comaneci to gold before defecting to the U.S.(the old man you can't understand in all the gymnastic interviews), the team finally stood a chance against stiff competition from Russia, Romania, and China. In the end, the U.S. gold medal dreams came down to one woman--Kerri Strug, who needed a high score on the vault to cement her team's victory. On her first attempt, Strug twisted her ankle. Undeterred, she insisted on taking her second attempt at the vault--and executed it perfectlydespite landing on one leg, thus winning the gold for her team. She then collapsed in pain. At the medal ceremony, Karolyi carried her up to the podium to be with her teammates.
I am always amazed at what some of these people do! Sometimes the athletes seem superhuman! I will be glad to start getting to bed at a decent hour, but I will miss watching the world at it's best!

5 comments:

Matt and Mandy said...

Amen, I haven't run for 2 weeks because I haven't been to bed before 12:30! Yea for early bed-times!

Amy Peterson said...

I was just in tears at the story on your blog- Zimi even said, "MOM are you sad, I think your sad" You know how kids don't get the cry because your sad thing! Thanks for the inspiration!

Jarmeg Family said...

I loved it too, all of my fav moments as well! I didn't see the visa commercials but i can tell those are the ones that make me cry! Jared says were going to phoenix for thanksgiving, can't wait to see you!

Josh and Emily said...

I am so with you. I enjoyed every second of the Olympics. I watched it every day start to finish and didn't get much sleep. I believe the Olympics were inspired. I am with you on the lump in the throat thing!

hairprincess said...

I wish I watched more of the Olympics now! I did catch a few but not too many, did you watch the Rythmatic Gymnastics? I watched that for the first time I didnt know they had that it was so cool! Its my new favorite!