Monday, August 4, 2008

24th of July...Pioneer Day

If you aren't from Utah you may have never even heard of the "24th of July" holiday. In Utah it is a state holiday (When I worked at the bank we would even get the day off) It is like celebrating the 4th of July again. Tons of festivities! Utah celebrates the day that Brigham Young and the LDS pioneers entered the Salt Lake Valley. I am grateful for those brave men, women, and children who walked and walked and walked... I could have never done it! I am also grateful for the many years we got to spend in Utah. I just love this holiday and am glad were were able to be there this year... could this be the start of a TRADITION??
The day began early at 5:30 on a chilly, windy morning (yes, that is 4:30 California time) my 2 sister-in-laws and brother-in-law ran (some of us jogged) a 10K but, we finished it with enough time to enjoy breakfast, shower, and make it in time for the PARADE....

This is our crew in matching T-shirts. Grandpa and Great Grandpa stayed home and watched the parade on the new TV! The kids had fun and we got some sun... (no I am not in the pic.)


Grandma and Ryder watching the floats...


Dylan "smiling" for the camera...


I was worn out too but the day was just beginning... we still had a backyard carnival, dinner out, a rodeo, and fireworks!



This was perfect... unlike at the fast food places I don't look at the plastic balls and think GERMS! oh and the kids had fun, too...




Playin' on the tramp with the sprinkler underneath and if they really wanted to get wet a pool to cool off in...


Playin' in the sprinklers...


Ryder and her cousin who is one month older... they had so much fun! Ryder was always looking for her (even when she wasn't at Grandma's)


So, this is the first time I ever had my face painted... LOVED IT!


Dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant in Provo "Los Hermanos" (okay Cafe Rio is our favorite)


The crew at the rodeo... there were some men... somewhere?? These are Zac's 5 sister's... and 4 of the 10 grandkids in his family...

Fun at the rodeo... they both thought the Mutton Busters would be fun to try and they can't stop talking about the "Wild Child"- the clown!



The end of a beautiful day... watching FIREWORKS!

1 comment:

Beehive State Builders said...

Looks like a fun day! We love the 24th, although as I am NOT from Utah, I still maintain that it's not a real holiday :). We enjoy it nonetheless! Cute pictures of your kids, and you too :) You look skinny!